Monday, March 1, 2010

A Quest for That Perfect Chawan Mushi

Chawan Mushi is the cool name for Japanese Egg Custard Dish, or just a normal Steam Egg Dish. It looks really simple to cook, but of course as expected it's quite tricky to make a delicious one!

My adorable niece, Fiona, "motivated" me to learn to make it. She is a pretty, cute and smart 4 y.o. girl of my eldest sister. She loves good food ever since she can take outside food! I know it and we all in the family know it that she can actually differentiate really good quality food from just a normal good ones (the bad ones don't count here). She would be able to finish the good ones, but not the opposites.

She loves Chawan Mushi from a nice but expensive Sushi restaurant in town. She often would say to us that she wants Chawan Mushi, whenever we ask her what she wants to eat. As young as 2 y.o., she didn't even mind to be left alone in that big restaurant, only accompanied by her baby sitter, to enjoy her favorite dish.

Last week, I promised myself that I must be able to make a good Chawan Mushi before my next visit to my hometown, and seeing her again.

So I used the same stock as I prepared for the Vegetable Tofu Nimono, water to dilute, good quality egg, sake, hon-mirin, salt, and soy sauce (preferably to use usukuchi soy sauce).
For the fillings, any kind like this is good: chicken meat, shrimps, shitake mushroom,
kamaboko (Japanese steam minced-fish), ginnan (ginkgo seed), and parsley as the garnish.

Steam it at high heat for 1 minute, continued with very low heat for 10 minutes, and it's ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment