Monday, March 1, 2010

The Japanese Kitchen

I tried this recipes on Saturday, March 27. Just wanted to get a different taste on the dining table, after focusing so much on the Western cuisines.

1. Vegetable Tofu Nimono
(carrot, boiled bamboo shoot, renkon (lotus root), satoimo potato (taro/ yam), shitake mushroom, ginkgo seed, parsley/ chinese celery)
For the stock: carrot, seaweed, fresh shitake mushroom, salt, sugar, sake and hon-mirin

2. Deep Fried Pumpkin with Honey Glaze
(fresh Australian pumpkin and honey)


For the drink? Ice green tea of course, with some slice of lemon. So refreshing!

This dietary contains a lot of fiber, which I think is really healthy for our digestion system. Because it also contains a lot of different type of vegetable, the soup is actually really nice and sweet.

I had some problem finding the stock, so I experimented through my own way. The proper stock will be "dashi stock", can be made fresh using kombu kelp and katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes), or buy the "granulated bonito dashi", mixed with water. I was trying to find it as the Market Place and some Cold Storage, but had no luck. Perhaps I should try the Cold Storage at Takashimaya or best try at the Daimaru.

No comments:

Post a Comment