Sunday, April 4, 2010

Corn and Sweet Potato Soup

The past few weeks, somehow, I started enjoying sweet potato again. I just steam it and have it for breakfast. It's sweetly nice and filling too. My Mom used to tell me that sweet potato is healthy and so nutritious and She even told me that if I wanted to become smart like the Japanese, I should eat sweet potato. Really? I just did some simple search and yes this food is really nutritious and of course somehow, somewhat, somewhere it links to our brain too :)

Sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, beta carotene (a vitamin A equivalent nutrient), vitamin C, and vitamin B6. Pink and yellow varieties are high in carotene, the precursor of vitamin A. The purple breed is high in anthocyanin content, which is a pigment that presents the purple color in the vegetable. The pigment can produce red, blue and purple colors depending on the source's chemical structure, such as in foods like blueberries, red grapes and red cabbage. The powerful antioxidant agents from this anthocyanin help to prevent diseases, such as cardiovascular disease and cancer. They boost immunity, are anti-inflammatory, and keep bones and skin healthy. I ever read it somewhere too that even the name is "sweet", it is also good for the diabetics. 

Hey, maybe this is just TMI (too much information) but even Oprah Winfrey is advocating increased consumption of sweet potatoes both for health benefits and because of their importance in traditional Southern cuisine.

Ok, I stop now. I realize that I have drifted so much from the cooking of my Corn and Sweet Potato Soup. So back to the story again, since I enjoy eating steam sweet potato, we often have some ready at home. As the name suggests, it's just carrot and sweet potato, sauteed with butter, blended it and added some sour cream. Serve it warm. Best to have it with some nice bread or baguette.

From Kitchen Runaway


It's really sweet, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment