Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A-lot-of-Mistakes Apple Crumble

My first attempt to make Apple Crumble was executed last night. I got home, feeling that I need to do some exercise, decided to go to the pool for few laps. Back home, took my shower, and oh~la~la dinner was ready. So nice of my Kitchen Assistants :-)

It was 8:30 pm and finally I decided that I should make the Apple Crumble. I always love Apple Crumble and I thought it would be worth trying. Anyway, I have prepared 3 different types of apple too in anticipation of this plan.

I started mixing the crumbs - 140g oat porridge + 1 tbsp white sesame seed + 1 tsp ground cinnamon + 25g ground almond, mixed with 50g melted butter and 1 tbsp honey. It tasted good and well you know I love cinnamon. The texture was about right too as it needs to assemble like bread crumbs. I wanted to make it more "crumbs" to I added another tablespoonful of honey (but maybe this is a mistake as some of the crumbs turned to be burnt when I took it out from the oven).

For the apples, I chopped and put it in the pan with 10 cardamoms (this is the first time I tried this species!) and 1 cup of apple-mango juice (not concentrate) plus half lemon and its zest. Actually based on the recipe I should use 1 orange and its zest, but I didn't have any in my fridge. So I just modified it a little bit. After about 10 minutes or so, I took out all the cardamoms, counting 10 of them, and added another pinch of ground cinnamon.... but oooppppssss.... it came out too much from the bottles. Oh well I thought it should be fine and I just mixed them all up. (Maybe this is the second mistake).

Last I scooped them onto the baking dish and covered with the crumbs and run it into the oven at 180 degC (I set it at 200 degC for my small oven). As soon as I shut the door, I screamed..... "What!!! Oh no... oh no...!!! I forgot the sugar". I supposed to sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar (preferably brown sugar) on the apple. (This is the third mistake and perhaps the last one). So it was to late then, and I decided to sprinkle the sugar on top of the oat crumbs and rushed it back to the oven. (Actually this is also another mistake while doing baking - checking and opening the doors too often. I need to confess too that I changed the oven to the grill-mode, trying to "melt" the sugar or at least caramelize it. But it didn't work).

After about 40 minutes, I took it out from the oven. Sadly looking at my Apple Crumble, I still asked my Kitchen Assistants to take a photo of it. The crumbs didn't look golden-ish and some were burnt. Worst the sugar was still there. So I took a fork and started to messed them up slightly to hide the ugly truth.

Despite, I took a scoop of the Apple Crumble for myself and another for my Assistant, served with vanilla ice cream. It's still nice although not delicious. This recipe is supposed to be the healthy type so there is not much sugar.

At least - I made my own Apple Crumble and proudly call it "A-lot-of-Mistakes Apple Crumble".

About 11 pm, I prepared to go to bed, feeling unsatisfied. Honestly, I was not in a subtle mind. Something is bothering me :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment