Monday, April 12, 2010

Kahlúa Brownies

So I had a bottle of Kahlúa sitting about collecting dust and figured that it needed to be put to decent use.
That being said, one must be creative and incorporate neglected liquor in other ways. I enjoyed eating vanilla ice cream with some Kahlúa but I think that will take a thousand years to finish my big bottle.
I'm not a coffee lover, honestly. I love the fragrant of coffee brew, but drinking coffee makes my heart beating fast. Despite that, I do take coffee occasionally and when I do take a sip, I like to have some nice chocolate cake to go with it. So is it any surprise that I poured a small amount into a batch of brownies?
I think not.
The addition of coffee liquor just gives it a nice bit of bitter flavor. If you don't have Kahlúa then using strong coffee or espresso is a perfect alternative.
To cut the long story short, I tried making this dessert cake last Saturday. I bought some nice 77% cocoa chocolate and tried my electric hand-mixer for the first time. Yeepee!
 

Ingredients

  • 350g of dark chocolate
  • 1/2 cup of butter, cut into pieces and at room temperature
  • 3 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 cups of sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of Kahlúa
  • 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cups of all purpose flour

Method

1 Lightly grease a baking pan (depends on the size of your over; my oven is quite small so I used the 17x17 cm pan). Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2 In a double boiler or using a bowl over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter together.
3 With an electric mixer, beat together the eggs, sugar and salt. Add the chocolate mixture and the vanilla extract and Kahlúa. Mix until smooth.
4 Slowly sift in the flour.
5 Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool for thirty minutes.

The smell was so good and it just filled up the kitchen and dining area with the nice dark chocolate smell... but oh~la~la.... I forgot to check out on my brownies and it was burnt slightly at the top. I'm still not so familiar with the setting of this oven. It's not really good but I know I have to bear with it for a while and make full use of that until someone buys me one for my birthday present, hehe!

From Kitchen Runaway


Despite the slightly over-browned surface, the taste is pretty good. But I wonder why the texture is slightly too dense. Is that because of not enough power on the egg-mixer? Or too much chocolate-butter composition? Or too long mixing of all the ingredients? I'm not quite sure. Anyone out there can advice me? But I can call up my friend - a real baker - next week to get some advice. Now the brownies is our take-to-work breakfast or high-tea menu.

1 comment:

  1. I just got a feedback from my "chocolate-lover" friend about the brownies. He said that the taste is really good but probably the texture is not right. Brownies are supposed to be drier instead of moist. The moist texture reminds him of the Christmas Fruit Cake.

    ReplyDelete